Where to Buy
Faculty and staff are encouraged to use the commodities below to search for the appropriate supplier for purchases. Strategic and preferred supplier contracts should be used whenever applicable to ensure the University leverages its buying power when purchasing products or services from an external supplier.
Strategic Supplier: A supplier that has been selected by Procurement Services to supply products and/or services to the University, and has agreed to provide deep discounts to the University, as well as excellent product and customer service. Specific criteria necessary for classification as a Strategic supplier include the following:
- Executed University-wide contract. Such contract includes a written discount pricing agreement on all University purchases through the term of the contract.
- Suppliers are held accountable for reporting spend information to Procurement Services on a consistent basis through the term of the contract
- Suppliers visit Procurement Services on a consistent basis to discuss spend activity and program initiatives
- Suppliers provide value-added services for the term of the contract (e.g., free shipping, on-site service representatives)
- For non-federal funded programs competitive bids are not required for purchases from Strategic suppliers regardless of the total purchase order dollar volume.
- Preferred Supplier: A supplier that provided substantial benefits to the University through a university-wide contract, this which includes a discounted price agreement on all University purchases for the term of the contract. When products are not available from Strategic suppliers, Procurement Services encourages all University departments to order products and services from Preferred Suppliers if possible. Orders under $25,000 do not require a bid if using a Preferred supplier, orders over $25,000 are required to have competitive bids.
- Approved Supplier: A supplier that has verbally agreed to provide catalog content and/or discounted pricing for the University of Notre Dame, or whose business volume growth potential may result in a new university-wide discount pricing agreement.
- Small and Minority Business Supplier: A supplier that is certified by a recognized third-party certifying organization or a federal, state or local government certifying agency or program as meeting the specific program requirements of such organization or agency.
If a purchase is being considered with a new supplier that is not an Approved Supplier, submit a Supplier Add Form through buyND to request that the supplier be considered for Approved Supplier status. No business should be transacted with the supplier until Procurement Services negotiates terms and conditions with the supplier and a purchase order has been issued.