Receiving and Returning
What is the importance of receiving on the purchase order?
How do I complete the receiving process if the items were all damaged?
Where can I get a summarized view of the receiving activity?
How do I enter a partial receipt?
How do I correct a receiving error?
How do I indicate that no further shipments are expected against an order?
If there are multiple shipments, when should I post a receipt in the buyND System?
How do I return the extra item if I ordered a quantity of 2 units and I received 3 units?
How do I authorize payment of items that were over-shipped?
How does Accounts Payable know what quantities I have received to make an accurate payment?
Posting a receipt in buyND indicates that you have received the goods or services. It is your authorization to pay the supplier’s invoice. When possible, receive within two business days of physically receiving the goods. The preferred method is to receive each shipment when it arrives.
At the “New Qty Receipt” page, choose the “Received and Returned” option. Please add a note giving reasons for your decision in the Review section.
The Receipts tab in the purchase order shows all receiving documents and the receiving activity. This screen will also show the receipt document numbers, and the date/time the action was completed.
You have two options:
- On the receipt screen, you can click on the trash can next to the line item to remove it from the receiving document. The resulting receiving document will only show items that have been received against.
- Instead of removing the items, you can enter a quantity of 0 in the line items that you have not physically received. In this case, the resulting receipt document will show all the line items and the respective quantities.
- You can "reopen" a receipt if it has not been paid against. If you reopen the receipt you can make the necessary adjustment.
- If the "reopen receipt" option is not availabe in the upper right hand corner of the receipt, it is possible to correct receiving errors by entering the overage amount and then choosing Return. This will subtract the quantity you “over received” in error. Please select “Receiving Error” as the return reason before completing the receipt.
In the Receipts section entered the quantity of the item(s) you do not expect to receive and choose Cancel. Then click “Complete”. The cancel action indicates that you will not be receiving the respective item from the supplier.
It is recommended that you post a receipt when you accept shipment. Multiple receipts can be entered in the system.
Remember that receiving is an internal process which does not involve the supplier. Take the following steps to complete the process:
- Follow the return process required by the supplier. This is done outside the buyND system.
- Within the Receiving screen in buyND, first receive a quantity of 3 units, and then create a new receipt by returning a quantity of 1. A total quantity received of 2 units will be the net received (see Receipts tab).
First, contact the supplier to notify them of the over shipment and your desire to keep the items. They will invoice for the additional items. Then create a quantity receipt and enter the total quantity received. Accounts Payable will now know that the quantity on the invoice matches the quantity you want to pay for.
Accounts Payable will pay an invoice based on the quantities reflected in “Receipts”. Please ensure that when you are done posting a receipt on a purchase order that the net received quantity accurately reflects the quantities you have received and are authorizing for payment.